Saturday, August 15, 2015

Recipe::Healthy Pancakes

I love breakfast. It's no joke my favorite meal of the day. Though, I could eat it any time of the day. The breakfast food-group as a whole is my favorite. Cereal, oatmeal, waffles, crepes, eggs, pancakes... Yum!
But really now, pancakes--so good. Also, Maple Syrup. I can't have a pancake without a good lake of syrup to go with it. Thus generally speaking, your typical pancake doesn't do much for you on a nutritional basis. I mean don't get me wrong, I think they're phenomenal. Just not the kind of thing I believe is good to start the day with on a regular basis.

And so last year I did some searching for a "healthy" pancake recipe (and not just a "mash some banana with oats and you'll never know the difference!" sort). After reviewing a number of them and trying a few different combinations out, I came up with my own. Though to give credit where credit is due, I think in the end my recipe was adapted primarily Sally's Baking Addition.

What makes my recipe different though is that I use instant oatmeal, but omit all sugar from her recipe (due to the already added sugar). Though, I initially did this because it was the only kind of oats in the house at the time, but in addition I liked the idea that one could use whatever flavor they wanted! Though this is to say that there is zero reason that you couldn't use quick oats, you would simply have to make up for it with sugar add in. Also, I can't help but mention that these are low in fat, and high in protein. Perfect combination.


On to the recipe!

Makes 8 Pancakes.

1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 1/2 packets of instant oatmeal
1 egg
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 dash of cinnamon (optional)
1/4 Cup blueberries (optional)
1 banana sliced (optional)

1. Preheat and grease frying pan or griddle.
2. Mix flour, oats, baking powder together.
3. Whisk in egg, yogurt, and all optional add-ins.
4. Pour 1/3 cup of batter on to griddle. Cook 2-3 minutes (or until firm enough to flip). Cook an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side (or until done).


Seriously though, these are a great substitute when you're craving a vessel to carry syrup to your mouth, but with less guilt! Also, if you like blueberries, I highly recommend adding them--so good.






No comments:

Post a Comment