Thursday, August 13, 2015

Also, I got a puppy.

I'm by no means an animal person. I would rather comfort a baby than pet a cat any day.
Throughout high school, I always said that I would not get a dog until I had en established family with a child old enough to do all of the work. 
After I granduated high school, that plan changed slightly. In that, I would get a dog after I graduated college. One to be a running companion.  Bernese Mountain Dogs are my favorite breed, but practically speaking, it didn't sound like the best choice. They're rather expensive ($1,000-2,500!) and live only an average of six years due to their high rate of health issues. A Bernese would also not be the best running Dog. But they're so cute!

And so after much research I decided on an Australian Shepherd, because they're known for their intelligence, ranked highly as running dogs, cost half the price of a Bernese, and live double the life. Not only that, but Black-tri colored Aussies look remarkably like that of a Bernese!

Back to the story: I was going to get one post college graduation. Because I would no longer be running with a team on a regular basis, rather I would be once again alone. So for safety reasons, getting a dog seemed smart. And so over the past two years, I've had a jar in my closet containing all of the tips I made throughout that time. This was my puppy fund. 

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Mom and I were talking, and it dawned on us that it would take a year until my pup had grown enough to run with me. Which brought about the temptation. I began looking into breeders and on dog classifieds (ads) at pups. Within a week I had narrowed it down to two, both of whom had puppies ready to go. After speaking to both on the phone, I decided which seemed like a legit person to purchase from. The very next day Braelynn and I road tripped two hours north and picked up my puppy. 

Introducing Keira




Seven Weeks Old.

Peace. 
Rawr.

Caption This.

Such Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment